About Pivotal Postgres
Released September 30, 2019
Pivotal Postgres is 100% open source software based on the PostgreSQL source code published at http://www.postgresql.org and other PostgreSQL software required for clustered deployments.
PostgreSQL is a powerful, open source object-relational database system that has more than 15 years of active development. It offers a proven architecture that has earned it a strong reputation for reliability, data integrity, and correctness. PostgreSQL is fully ACID compliant, has full support for foreign keys, joins, views, triggers, and stored procedures (in multiple languages). It includes most SQL:2008 data types, including
TIMESTAMP. It also supports storage of binary large objects, including pictures, sounds, or video. PostgreSQL has native programming interfaces for C/C++, Java, .Net, Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl, ODBC, among others, and exceptional documentation.
Major features of PostgreSQL include:
- Multi-Version Concurrency Control (MVCC)
- Point in time recovery
- Asynchronous replication
- Nested transactions (savepoints)
- Online/hot backups
- A sophisticated query planner/optimizer
- Write ahead logging for fault tolerance
- International character sets
- Multibyte character encodings
- Locale-aware support for sorting case-sensitivity, and formatting
Pivotal Postgres packages a collection of 100% open source software to help you deploy and manage one or more clusters of the PostgreSQL database. It includes the following components:
- PostgreSQL – The core ORDBMS database engine.
- PostgreSQL ODBC Driver (psqlODBC) – Connectivity for Linux client applications.
- PostgreSQL JDBC Driver (pgjdbc) – Connectivity for Java clients.
- pgBackRest – Reliable backup and restore for PostgreSQL.
- Patroni – a template for setting up PostgreSQL high availability with a distributed configuration service.
All components included in the Pivotal Postgres software distribution are intended for Enterprise deployments, and are supported by Pivotal Support. See the Support Lifecycle Policy and the Pivotal Product Support Lifecycle Matrix for details about the duration of support for Pivotal Postgres.